Hot Potato game is a fun way to choose students to answer questions. This page will introduce the Hot Potato game and show how it can be used in ESL and language learning classes.
- A ball or other soft object to use as the "potato". The less it looks like a potato the funnier kids will find it when you call it a potato.
- optional: Flashcards if needed for the target question
- A CD player or timer
- The student should have been taught the target language previously.
- Demonstrate how to play
How to Play
- Give the potato to the closest student
- Start the CD player or timer
- After 5 - 10 seconds stop the CD player or say "Stop!"
- Whoever has the potato answers the question